Filing a Wrongful Termination Lawsuit

Being fired wrongfully is illegal. While employment in Ohio is at-will—meaning you can quit or be discharged without reason if you do not have an employment or labor agreement—numerous actions make termination wrongful in Cleveland, some of which include:

  • Being terminated in violation of a written or oral employment or other agreement
  • Being discriminatorily fired because of their age, disability, gender, race, color, religion or other factors

Additionally, employers cannot terminate employees in violation of their own or public policy.

Although the best time to consider a wrongful termination lawsuit is immediately after you have been let go, Zipkin Whiting Co., LPA can help you at any point in the process. Our highly experienced, successful law firm focuses on the protection and pursuit of employee rights in Cleveland.

Steps to take when you are about to be illegally fired

If you have been discharged, or believe you are about to be illegally fired, take these steps to help yourself now and lay solid groundwork for a complaint or wrongful termination lawsuit later:

  • Report your concerns. Bring concerns or complaints to the attention of your supervisor or management team. Although these may be the individuals responsible for your complaint, you should make use of any reporting processes outlined under employer policy.
  • Continue to carry out job responsibilities to the best of your ability.
  • Obtain legal help: Contact our law firm or another wrongful termination attorney in Cleveland to discuss your rights as a terminated or soon-to-be terminated employee. We provide easy to understand information about what you can do, what to expect, and potential outcomes given the facts of your case.
  • File an agency complaint. If you were a victim of harassment or discrimination, file a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) field office in Cleveland.
  • Gather background details.  Pull together relevant information. Do you have a written agreement? Do you believe you had an implied contract? Review your employment contract if you had one. If not, make notes about promises made and actions you believe led to your firing. Who fired you and what was the reason? Do you have a termination slip or report? Did you receive bonuses, commissions, or promotions as promised? Was your employer truthful upon hiring about workplace conditions? Did those conditions degrade over time? Your documentation and notes are vital to future legal claims.

Help with wrongful termination lawsuits in Cleveland

If you were wrongfully terminated, Zipkin Whiting Co., LPA can pursue your employee rights to a satisfactory outcome, either through negotiation or by filing a lawsuit. We have decades of solid experience with employee rights cases in Cleveland, and we can help you collect compensation for being illegally fired is wrong. Contact us or call toll free 888-339-6094 or 216-514-6400.